When you are going to start dealing with wood, it might be a challenging task to choose a perfect saw between Miter saw vs Circular Saw. Right?
You have a variety of options from which to choose the perfect type of saw. Mainly, at this point, people get confused between a miter and a circular saw.
For a better decision, all you need to do is determine your requirements and the nature of your work to get a suitable saw. Moreover, you may keep an eye on the type of wood while doing so. The most important aspect to remember is the nature of the cuts.
Furthermore, this manuscript will assist you in determining which category is best for you. Let’s step into the given information for better clarification.
What is a Miter Saw?
A miter saw is a tabletop-type saw that would help you cut wood at various angles by varying the degree of the cuts. A circular blade may help to achieve those great cuts. The blade would penetrate the wood to cut it. Moreover, it’s pretty easy to change this circular blade. You may feel free to use it without any hesitation.
Further, it would help you change the variable angles by just moving the adjustment handles. One more plus is that this saw may move horizontally and vertically freely. This would increase your flexibility and enable you to make left- or right-handed cuts.
Additionally, there are numerous types of miter saws available on the market to deal with diverse situations. These types may include bevel, compound, corded, sliding, etc. miter saws.
When Should I Go for a Miter Saw?
The type of saw you buy is determined by your needs and situation. A miter saw is an a bit more special tool than an ordinary one. So, it would be better to buy it for a special woodworking project, if you need some distinct cuts like miter cuts, criss-cross cuts, etc.
If you are hoping to build something that involves much trimming, you may want to get a miter saw. It would help you construct furniture, photo frames, portable tables, and decks up to 2×4 and 2×6s measurements.
Moreover, it would also help you in renewing your office, home, etc. A compound miter saw would be perfect to form all types of inner, outer, and cross cuts for your woodwork. This woodwork may involve walls, cupboards, etc.
Also, it is best known for its angled cuts, which are used to trim pieces or build a crown. It can handle wood up to 12″ thick. One of the most alluring things is that a miter saw can cut metal just by adjusting a special blade for a special metal.
Why Should I Go for a Miter Saw?
You may be attracted by some extraordinary features of a miter saw that make your woodworking more enjoyable. Some of those remarkable features are listed below.
- When it comes to the nature of the use of a miter saw, it’s pretty easy to use as compared to any other type of modern saw. You don’t have to worry while using it even if you haven’t any prior experience with the woodwork.
- A miter saw is at less risk to cause any damage. You may deal with it easily by holding the adjustment handle to avoid any danger. Simply, it’s a safe option to choose.
- It’s pretty manageable to change its blade to deal with several materials. You may set a special blade for particular materials like metals, baseboards, etc. Moreover, make sure to check out the blade before every cutting.
- One additional point lies in its time-saving nature. You have to adjust it just once. You may get a large number of cuts on that arrangement by placing the material on the cutting table.
- It’s very well built to avoid pollution. It would work perfectly to collect its dust without disturbing the health of workers and the surrounding.
- You don’t have to move it for cutting various pieces but the wood would pass and move below its blade.
- The cuts by the miter saw are more precise and straight than those of the circular saw.
You may also come across some negative aspects of a miter saw. These are some points about a miter saw that are not very satisfactory to go with it,
- It’s more expensive than a circular saw. You may consider it if you are a beginner or less exposed to woodwork.
- It may work up to a certain length of wood. You may need to get a new saw to deal with larger wood pieces.
- A miter saw is pretty gigantic. Therefore, you have to arrange a separate space to place it in your home. It may cause a disturbance if you are residing in a small apartment.
- A miter saw is not that easily portable due to its huge size. Thus, you have to keep it in a single place.
- It fails to work when it comes to dealing with plywood.
What Is a Circular Saw?
A circular saw is most likely a handle saw equipped with circular blades for cutting wood and other materials. It would aid in the reduction of wood and other materials such as metals. The circular blade would chip the cutting material. You may change these blades to encounter different materials.
Moreover, you can get a large variety of cuts at various angles by using this fabulous circular saw. Various types of circular saws are also constructed and available for different requirements. It’s up to you to choose one of them.
In terms of operation, you can take it in your hand by using its handle. You have to mark the cutting material or use a guide rail to get the desired cut. All you have to do is move the saw in the direction of the mark; thus, the precision is entirely up to you.
When Should you Go for a Circular Saw?
You have to determine your needs and situation before choosing a saw. There are various conditions in which you have to use a circular saw. Doing DIY and building furniture pieces are among those situations.
Moreover, you may use it for renovations in your home to get perfect chipboards, structure panels, etc. You may use a circular saw to cut PVC, metals, and other materials. All you need to do is change the blade depending on the type of material.
If you need to make long cuts, this circular saw is perfect for you. You may use it to get rounded cuts on the wood. You can also put a safety device on it if you want to make sure you are safe.
Why Should you Go For a Circular Saw?
There are several stunning features of the circular saw that will convince you to prefer it over other types of saws. Some of those tremendous characteristics are stated below.
- A circular saw is pretty affordable to purchase even for an average guy.
- It’s relatively compact and small in size. Therefore, you may feel relaxed to keep it anywhere with you.
- Moreover, it’s portable due to its convenient size and weight.
- It would help you to deal with more variety of wood like plywood, chipboard, floorboards, beams, etc.
- A circular saw would help you to get more long and longitudinal cuts as compared to a miter saw.
- You may use it under both left and right hands.
Following are some unfavorable points about the circular saw.
- It’s pretty difficult to use it. You have to be skilled enough to use it.
- It’s not a safe option. It may cause various damages as you are carrying it in your hand.
- A circular saw is not as precise as a miter saw. Its accuracy depends upon the movement of your hand.
- It’s more time-consuming as you have to arrange it before every use.
Final Verdict on Miter saw vs Circular Saw
Finally, you are given a comprehensive guide to both the miter and circular saws. It’s a pretty significant step to choose one of them, especially as a beginner. The choice is entirely yours.
All you need to do is consider your requirements, skills, and situation. Make sure to judge everything perfectly and choose the best saw for you. This choice would decide the future of your woodworking.
Choose the best and have satisfying wood art with your saw!
I am Arxal, the founder and main writer of sawgeeks.com. Passionate about woodworking and power tools, I started this blog to share my knowledge and experiences with others in the field. Through my articles, I aim to provide helpful information and create a community for fellow saw geeks.